Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Smattering of Poems

Once again I've come to deposit some of the poems I've posted on Facebook here in the vault. I've been experimenting with style and form a little bit. Trying new things and all that jazz.



The Cashier's Prayer


Now I clock right in to work,
And pray the Lord to spare the jerks.
But if I lose it before I'm through,
I pray the Lord will at least spare you.





Damp Lullabies


The bath is warm and inviting.
It holds me close and gently whispers
Sloshing lullabies.

Who could resist such comfort and wealth of being?
If I were to leave now
I would leave,
albeit sadly,
With the warmth of sweet memories
As my bedfellows.

But if I were,
Instead,
to give in and fully embrace my situation,
to let my consciousness drift off into the waves.
Then I’ll be forced to bear witness to
The End.

To awaken to a world of dark absence.
To wake up
Cold
and wet
and alone.

Left to stumble out,
Waterlogged and deprived of warmth,
and attempt a proper sleep
while the back of my mind loudly dreads
What it’ll wake up to this time.

So, perhaps,
for once,
I’ll indulge in non-indulgence.

I’m starting to get pruney, anyhow.





Faceplant Romance


You’ve tripped me up.
You’ve knocked me down.
I can’t trust myself when you’re around.

I’m falling for you,
How ‘bout you fall for me?
Who cares if our friends might disagree.

Let’s fall in bed,
Let’s fall in love,
Let’s feel the heat
‘til we get a shove.

Let’s fall apart as we hit the street
And spill our asses onto concrete.
Road rashes and bruises
All our own,
To remind us that we don’t have to be alone.

Two left feet,
May I have this dance?
Let’s two-step to a faceplant romance.

I’ve already fallen
and can’t stop the descent,
But if you join me we can circumvent;
You fall for me and I’ll fall for you,
We’ll orbit each other like Pluto’s moon.

And then in time
when our world’s collide
We’ll just feel relief for leaving nothing untried.

So let’s fall in bed,
Let’s fall in love,
Let’s feel the heat
‘til we get that shove.

Let’s fall apart as we hit the street
And spill our asses onto concrete.
Road rashes and bruises
All our own,

Reminding us that we weren’t always alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment