Sunday, December 14, 2008

Warning Low Battery

Oh finals...how I hate them. With the help of evening naps and caffine I should be able to make it through. Only 2 finals remain! I had my Rhetorical Theory final early this morning and I'm pretty sure I did ok on it. Like usual the teacher likes to put an obscure extra credit question at the end of tests. This one asked for 4 lines of a song or poem about Rhetoric. I'm not sure if there is such a song or poem so I just made a couple up and hope they count.

Aristotle's Rhetoric
The faculties of observing
through your mind are curving.
For any given case,
right behind your face,
persuasive means are whirling.

Quintilian: In Briefs
Quintilian, Quintilian
He's one in a million!
He might be good,
he might speak well,
but with that yell his pants they fell.
Hey, his underwear's vermillion!

In case you didn't know Aristotle defines Rhetoric as "The faculty of observing in any given case the available means of persuasion." And Quintilian was a Roman rhetorician who came up with the Vir Bonus Doctrine, which stated that Rhetoric is a good man speaking well.

1 comment:

  1. Your song/poem is a trillion times better than mine. I'm actually going to miss that class. Kind of. This is Lee, by the way. I saw your blog on Facebook. Sweet comics.

    ReplyDelete