Saturday, April 4, 2009

I Locked Myself Out..Again

In a change of pace I now find myself putzing about on a computer other than my own. You see I have locked myself out of my apartment. Even worse this is the second time today this has happened. While unfortunate for me, you've lucked out as it has provided me a reason to write a post.

        I think comics and cartoons have ruined any appreciation for fine art I might have had. I went to the showing of the senior art projects to see what a couple art major friends of mine had come up with. Everything there seemed very arty and yet nothing there really caught my eye. Don't get me wrong the pieces were technically outstanding. However, my love for comics and cartoons has caused me to look for something very specific in art. I'm not sure what this is exactly, but it something like personal expression. I like to be able to look at something and to see something from the eyes of the artist. Straight from their minds to my eyes. Art's ability to let us get a glimpse into other people's imaginations is one of the things I like so much about it.
        Being able to create a paragon of artistic technique is one thing, but using that technique to create something unique is something else all together. The reason I hated the drawing class I took at college was its focus on technique without room for expression. Sure technique is important, and something I greatly lack, but I don't want to create something just for the sack of creating something. If I can't express something through it then I don't see the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment