Tuesday, June 23, 2009

I Should Be Cleaning

It is often quite hard to muster the gumption to stop what you are doing to go clean, but perhaps that is just me.

---------------------------------------------
Jesse reviews “Shadows Over Baker Street”
----------------------------------------------
        Although, I'm sure you can't tell, in the comic I tried to recreate the cover of the book I was reading at the time: “Shadows Over Baker Street”. It is a collection of stories written around the theme of combining Sherlock Holmes with the “nightmare world of H.P. Lovecraft”. As many people know I'm a big Holmes fan so needless to say that the book intrigued me. While most of the stories are quite entertaining, I have to admit that after reading enough of them they started to get old.
        The problem as I see it was that the editor didn't give enough direction to the authors. As such the authors all took their favorite elements from Holmes and put them to use. However, you soon realize that most people like the same things. While Sir Arthur Conan Doyle knew the last story he had written and could change up the following tale to prevent them from being redundant, these stories clearly didn't have that luxury. To add insult to injury the contents section lists the date the story was to take place next to its title: as if they are chronological or something. This seems rather foolish considering that half of them make some mention of the paranormal nature of their case being shocking and unbelievable. You would think that Holmes and Watson would start to get used to the paranormal after the first couple adventures.
        The particularly unique stories are really the only ones I can remember. Sadly they all came in the first third of the book. Neil Gaiman's “A Study in Emerald” was absolutely fantastic and that is coming from a person who typically doesn't care for Gaiman's writing. If you're a Sherlock Holmes fan like me I'd certainly recommend this book, however, I'll warn you that there really isn't anything too memorable after “Art in the Blood” (the sixth story in the book). After that point the stories stop being as varied and unique.


P.S. I certainly hope Rosemary realizes that I've had to memorize bits of html code in order to put indentation and proper quote marks into this post and appreciates it accordingly.

No comments:

Post a Comment